Talkeetna Water & Sewer

  • Talkeetna Water & Sewer Fees & Billing


    Service Fee or Charge
    Residential $41.45 per month
    Commercial: Metered $5.80 per 1,000 gallons ($46.43 per month minimum)
    Commercial: Non-Metered $46.43 per month
    Late Charge


    Interest Charge 10.5%
    Temporary Off-Site Construction Service -Bulk Sales: Hydrant Meter Deposit $203.20 each
    Temporary Off-Site Construction Service - Bulk Sales: Service from Fire Hydrant $5.80 per 1,000 gallons
    Temporary Construction Service: 3/4" $59.86 per month
    Temporary Construction Service: 1" $105.78 per month
    Temporary Construction Service: 1 ½" $235.29 per month
    Temporary Construction Service: 2" $419.26 per month
    Temporary Construction Service: Larger than 2" By Special Agreement
    Bulk Sales $5.80 per 1,000 gallons
    Interrupted Service Fee $24.88 per month



    Customers will be billed by the Utility at intervals approximating 30 days. Normally, each meter will be read on or about the same date each month and bills will be prepared, utilizing a cycle billing, based on the meter reading. Billings for service of less than thirty days shall be pro-rated on the basis of a thirty day month from the day of connection (turn on).   Contact the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Public Works Department, (907) 745-9804, regarding billing questions or information. 

    Delivery of Bills:


    Bills will be mailed to each customer each month at the premise supplied with water and/or sewer or to another address specified by the customer. Bills will be mailed at approximately the same time every month, generally the first day of each month. Failure to receive a billing will not relieve the customer of the obligation to pay for the service rendered.

    Payment of Bills:

    Bills are due and payable on the date of the billing and will be considered past due and subject to a late charge or finance charge of ten and one-half percent per annum from due date to collection of the account if not paid within twenty-five days after billing date.

    Payments can be made in person or mailed to the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Finance Department, 350 East Dahlia, Palmer, Alaska 99645. Payments may also be made at the Talkeetna Matanuska Valley Federal Credit Union.  You can pay using a credit card, debit card or electronic check at   or via telephone at 866-989-9516.  Point and pay charges a convenience fee for each transaction of $3.00 per $100 for credit/debit card payments and $2.95 per electronic check.   When using any of these payment option, please be sure to note your Talkeetna Water and Sewer account number. 

    Refundable Deposit:

    To ensure the payment of all charges due for water and sewer service, an applicant or customer shall make a cash deposit with the Utility, per account, in an amount equal to two months of monthly charges. The Utility will refund the deposit after two years of service providing that, in the interim period, the Utility has not been forced to disconnect that customer’s service for reasons of delinquency in payment of charges or that the customer has not been delinquent in payment more than once in any 12 consecutive months, or is not delinquent at end of the two year period. The deposit is to be returned to the customer within 25 days of discontinuance of service. The deposit is interest bearing and cannot be assigned.

  • Water & Sewer Rates


    Service Fee or Charge
    Water Turn-on or Turn-Off: During Business Hours* $41.45 each
    Water Turn-on Turn-Off: During Non-Business Hours $82.90 each
    Hydrant Use: Wrench Deposit $24.88 each
    Hydrant Use: Meter Deposit $207.26 each
    Water Main Connection Permit Fee $248.73 each
    Stub-out Connection Permit Fee $82.90 each
    Unauthorized Turn-On or Turn-Off $99.49 each
    Meter Test: 3/4" through 2" Meter $41.45 each
    Return Check $41.45 each
    Call-Out: During Business Hours $41.45 each
    Call-Out: During Non-Business Hours $82.90 each
    Key Box Locate: During Business Hours $41.45 each
    Key Box Locate: During Non-Business Hours $82.90 each
    Refundable Deposit Two months water service at applicable monthly rate
    Application Fee



    Service Fee or Charge
    Residential $41.45 per month
    Commercial $79.62 per month


    Service Fee or Charge
    Sewer Connection Permit Fee* $248.73 each
    Stub-out Connection Permit Fee* $82.90 each
    Refundable Deposit Two months service at applicable monthly rate
    Call-out during business hours $41.45 each
    Return Check $41.45 each
    Unauthorized Connection $99.49 each and monthly charges
    Application Fee


    * If a water connection is being done at the same time as a sewer connection, charge will only be for the water connection.
  • Talkeetna Water & Sewer Meters & Permits


    Metering is required for all commercial and industrial customer classes receiving water service from the Utility. One meter is to be installed for each connection.

    If more than one structure, recreation vehicle (RV), or mobile home is connected to a single water service connection, the service must be metered and will be considered a commercial account and charged accordingly.

    Connection Permits:

    The developer, property owner, or authorized agent shall acquire a connect permit from the Utility for each water connection and water extension prior to its construction. The developer, owner, or authorized agent must complete the permit application, designate the size of connection and pay the permit fee as set forth in the schedule of fees and charges. No water connection will be made without the required permit.

  • Service Information

    Services Provided:

    Services provided in this area are water, sewer and sewage treatment services and facilities, which includes construction, operation, and maintenance of such facilities.

    Application for Serivce:

    Contact the Borough’s Operations & Maintenance Specialist in Talkeetna, at (907) 733-1372 or (907) 355-9828  to have service established or discontinued.

    Required Water Connections:

    Mandatory hook-up to the Talkeetna Sewer and Water Service Area System is required for all new facilities constructed after March 17, 1992 and for all existing systems that fail. Mandatory hook-up is not required for structures existing prior to March 17, 1992.

    Permanent/Seasonal Service:

    To accommodate seasonal needs, the Utility will provide water service to facilities to be turned on annually at a time specified by the customer each spring and discontinued at a date in the fall or winter designated by the customer. The customer shall be charged an Interrupted Service Fee to reimburse the Utility for the cost of turning on, shutting off, and draining the Utility facilities.

    Any residence which is occupied will not be allowed to discontinue sewer service even if water service is discontinued.

    Change of Occupancy:

    A customer who is listed on the Utility records as the person or entity responsible for water consumption at a specific location shall give notice in writing by mail, or in person, of an intended change in occupancy, specifying the date on which service is to be discontinued. Notice shall be provided at least five days prior to the change of occupancy. If the customer fails to provide the required notice, the customer will be charged for a water service furnished to the premises until the Utility provides service to a successor occupant.

Seasonal Weight Restrictions - UPDATED JUNE 4, 2014

CORE AREA - extending to the Little Su Bridge on the Parks Hwy and to the Granite Creek Bridge on the Glenn Hwy:


                               Vine Road is still at 50% axle loading

                               Koppenburg Road at 50% axle loading effective June 4, 2014

    NORTHERN AREA -beyond the Little Su Bridge on the Parks Hwy and beyond the Granite Creek Bridge  on the Glenn Hwy:

                              50% axle loading on all borough roads until further notice

Axle loading shall be as defined in 17 AAC 25.013. Weight restriction exemptions that apply to ADOT roads shall also apply to Borough roads.  Additional emergency restrictions may be applied.  Emergency restrictions will be advertised in the Frontiersman, posted on our web site or will be posted on the specific roads.

For more information call Public Works Road Hotline at 861-7755.

Check with local cities for their restrictions on their webpages.

For weight restrictions that apply to state-maintained roads, please go to



Since I don’t live on a Borough maintained road, why do I have to pay road taxes?

Everyone pays road tax as part of their tax assessment.  If you reside or own property in a designated RSA, you are responsible to pay your fair share of those maintenance costs incurred by that RSA.

What do I need to do to get my road accepted for Borough maintenance?

The road must be certified by the Borough that it is constructed to Borough standards.  If it is not, that is the responsibility of the residents on that road to bear the costs of bringing it up to a certifiable condition.  After that is done, the residents can petition or request the Borough inspect it again and consider it for maintenance if it meets the required standards.

Why does the borough not take responsibility for snow berms in driveways and in front of mailboxes?

The RSA Contractors are required (by contract) to “minimize snow berms” as best as can be expected and they are allowed to leave a berm of 12 inches or less and no more than 24 inches at the base in driveways.  Any berms left in front of mailboxes are the responsibility of the resident, but again the contractors are asked to try and minimize the size and depth of the snow left behind.  This is all due to economics, the RSA cannot bear the costs of a no berm policy.

What can the Borough do about speeding vehicles?

Nothing, this is a law enforcement issue and the Borough does not have police powers.

Why won’t the Borough put up “Children At Play” signs?

These types of signs are thought to be a means of traffic calming, and they do not work in that capacity. The Borough posts speed limits that appropriate for residential areas and the enforcement of those speed limits are not within the powers of the Borough.

Why can’t we have speed humps/bumps installed in our subdivision?

Speed bumps/humps are a maintenance concern both in maintaining them and for equipment.  They are also a liability for two wheel traffic both motorcycles and bicycles.

Why won’t the Borough water my roads for dust control?

The RSA budgets cannot afford the cost to do this.

Why is my road not paved and when is it going to be paved?

This question has to be directed to your local RSA board for inclusion in the CIP (Capital Improvement Program) process.

How come they always plow the main road into our subdivision (which is paved) and not ours (which is gravel)?

Contractors responsibility is to plow mainline routes, school bus routes, and all the pavement first.  They are then responsible for secondary routes and finally residential streets and roads.   The Contractor also has by contract 48 hours to complete an initial plowing following a storm event.

What does the Borough do about dust on our roads?

Dust control for gravel roads are a CIP (Capital Improvement Program) issue and must start at the local RSA board level for nomination and inclusion in the program. The Road Superintendents will also place very dusty roads in the nomination process with the RSA board during the development of the CIP list.

What does it take to get a street light?

This is something that comes through the local RSA board during the CIP process.  If you want a street light you must make your local board aware of your request and they will bring it forward as a request on the CIP list.  One of the major criteria for street lights is intersections that are also school bus stops.

How do I get a speed limit sign installed on my street?

Contact Public Works to submit sign requests. Requestor will need to provide location and contact information. A petition from residents along the subject road is helpful. The Borough will look at the road and evaluate the need and if warranted determine a suitable location. The requestor will be notified of the determination. The Borough will then install the sign when conditions permit.

Is there anyway you can stop the truck traffic on our road?

No, not unless there are weight restrictions in place, and then all we can do is caution them that they may be exceeding those restrictions. The public roads are just that, public.  We cannot restrict the use of the roads to any one user just because someone does not want them using them.

Why can’t you grade the road when it is dry?

It does absolutely no good to grade a dry road, it actually does more damage than good as it causes to road surface to unravel and it pulls the larger rocks in the surface loose.  It also removes the fines from the surface, and it is that material that binds the top portion of the road together.

Why don’t you water the roads and then grade?

This is what we should be doing, we could then grade roads all summer and not have to wait for natural moisture (rain) to occur.  The practice of pre-watering the roads prior to grading is cost prohibitive, that is the only reason we do not do this.

Report A Pot Hole

Reporting Potholes



Water and asphalt do not mix. Potholes result when water gets into and under asphalt. Motorists should reduce speed while driving through all puddles especially large puddles. We have had many reports of flat tires due to drivers driving too fast through puddles and hitting unseen potholes. Report potholes promptly.


                                    Contact Numbers:

  • To report a pothole on major State routes: MAT-SU State DOT (907)745-2159
  • To report a pothole on Local roads: MAT-SU Borough (907)745-9826

Street Lights

Street Lights




Street lights located along Borough roads are maintained by Matanuska Electric Association. Street light bills are funded by individual road service areas. The borough currently pays the monthly light bills for 395 street lights located throughout the Borough. Contact Public Works (907) 745-9804 to report an outage and we will notify Matanuska Electric Association.

Contact your individual Road Service Area Supervisors to request a street light in your area. If you are unsure of who your supervisor is, contact the Public Works Department (907) 745-9804 for this information.

Individuals will need to request their Supervisor to include the street light installation in the capital improvement program. The borough considers the following factors when analyzing the location n for a street light:
- Public safety
- Site distance
- School bus stop
- Traffic density

The capital improvement program process begins with a priority list from the 16 Road Service Area Supervisors which is received by Public Works by December 31. Cost estimates are prepared, funding levels established, and approval is received from the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Assembly. Approval occurs in February and the work begins after spring break-up. You may contact the Department of Public Works at (907) 745-9828 to see if your light is included in the capital improvement program, or click HERE to view the Summer 2008 Capital Improvement Program listed by road service area.


©2013 Matanuska-Susitna Borough
For questions or comments about the Borough,
or Borough Services, call (907)861-7801

For website issues contact the IT Helpdesk

Matanuska-Susitna Borough
350 E. Dahlia Ave.
Palmer, Ak 99645
Hours of Operation: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM