Animal Care & Regulation
Serving the MAT-SU Borough and the cities of Palmer and Wasilla. The Matanuska-Susitna Borough Animal Care & Regulation division, maintains an Animal Shelter and an enforcement branch.
The MSB ACR Shelter has many dogs and cats looking for loving, forever homes. Sometimes, we even have other animals such as rabbits or horses. We maintain a log of reported lost and found animals, in order to reunite people with their lost pets.
We have an active community outreach program. Our Volunteer Program helps care for our Shelter animals, and we also sponsor a number of community programs and events, such as Adopt-A-Classroom and Vaccination Clinics.
Our Enforcement branch has Animal Care Officers on staff to ensure the welfare of the Borough's domesticated animals, enforcing the regulations set forth under Title 24 of the MAT-SU Borough Code.
Map and Contacts
Phone (907) 746-5500
Fax (907) 746-6683
9470 E. Chanlyut Circle,
Palmer AK 99645
between the Central Landfill on 49th State Street and the Recycle Center.
Hours of Operation: The Mat-Su Borough Animal Care Facility is open Tuesday through Thursday, 11:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m, Friday and Saturday, 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Follow us on Facebook!
We Have Two Entrances
|Enter through the left door to
||Enter through the right door to
- bring in a homeless animal to be possibly rehomed
- bring in your adopted shelter pet to be weighed for spay/neuter surgery
- microchip your pet
- visit with the animals at the shelter
- adopt an animal from the shelter
- file a report for a lost pet
- attend a scheduled appointment with an Animal Care Officer
- volunteer or make a donation
Our adoption fees include :
- rabies vaccination
- for dogs, standard 5-way vaccination:
- adenovirus types I & II (hepatitis)
- for cats, standard 4-way vaccination:
- Panleukopenia virus (distemper)
- rhinotracheitis (feline herpes)
- feline calici virus
- Chlamydia Psittaci
Adoption fees for cats and dogs are as follows:
|If already spayed/neutered
|After 14 days, if altered at the shelter
|After 14 days, if previously altered
* Other fees may apply when adopting other species.
** Additional discounts apply when you adopt two animals at the same time.
After 14 days, if altered at the shelter
Lost & Found
In order to help reunite people with their lost pets, the shelter maintains a log of reported lost and found animals.
- If you have found an animal at-large, please file a Found Animal Report.
- If your animal is lost,
- please check to see if your pet has been brought to the shelter by
- browsing the PetHarbor database.
- calling the Shelter at 746-5500.
- if your pet is not at the shelter, please file a Lost Animal Report .
Fax or mail the complete report to the shelter at 746-6683.
Within the cities...
The Police Department is the enforcement agency for animal-related issues within the city limits of Palmer, Wasilla and Houston. For complaints regarding animals within the city limits, please call:
- 745-4811 for Palmer
- 352-5401 for Wasilla
- 892-6447 for Houston
If you're bringing in an animal you found within the city limits, please make a note of the location and bring the address and/or cross streets to the shelter.