In any emergency, you or a family member may be cut, burned or suffer other injuries. Keep the following basic first aid supplies so you are prepared to help when someone is hurt.
- Two pairs of disposable gloves
- Cleansing agent/soap and antibiotic towelettes to disinfect. Alcohol and/or Betadine
- Antibiotic ointment to prevent infection
- Burn ointment
- Sterile dressings (gauze pads both 2 & 4 inch) to stop bleeding and medical tape
- Adhesive bandages in a variety of sizes
- Eye wash solution to flush the eyes or as general decontaminant
- Small tools: Scissors, tweezers, thermometer, needle, tongue depressor, safety pins
- Over-the-counter medicines such as aspirin or other pain reliever, laxative, anti-diarrhea medication
- Prescription medications you take every day such as insulin, heart medicine, or asthma inhaler
- Prescribed medical supplies such as glucose monitoring equipment or blood pressure monitors
- Take a First Aid Class before a disaster!