MAT-SU LiDAR & Imagery Project 2011-2012
The MSB LiDAR & Imagery Project is a collection of high-resolution elevation data and aerial imagery for 3680 square miles of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough (MSB) as well as the development of a number of ancillary datasets. For data management purposes the project has been divided into 7 blocks/areas: Matanuska, Core Area, Point MacKenzie, Willow, Caswell Lakes, Talkeetna, & North Susitna.
The project is being managed by the MSB in collaboration with the US Geological Survey (USGS) and US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). The following partners have contributed funding and/or resources to the project:
- Coastal Impact Assistance Program (CIAP);
- United States Geological Survey (USGS);
- Alaska Energy Authority (AEA);
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS);
- The Nature Conservancy (TNC);
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Mat-Su Salmon Partnership;
- United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE);
- Alaska Pacific University (APU) &
- Matanuska Susitna Borough (MSB).
All data developed as a part of this project is Public Domain.
Phone: (907) 745-9695
- Orthorectified, multispectral, 4-band imagery (RGB & NIR); ½ ft resolution, for a 270 sq/mi urban area; 1 ft resolution, for the entire 3680 sq/mi project area (formats: Jpg2000, MrSid2, & uncompressed Tiff)
- Point Cloud Data w/ 1m true nominal pulse spacing (nps) and 0.6m nps through overlap (these data meet both USGS & FEMA specs); classified and unclassified (format: LAS)
- Automated “vegetation” classification; low (1-6ft), medium (6-15ft) and high (>15ft) (format: stored in the point cloud LAS files)
- 1 m first return digital surface model (DSM) (aka top of canopy) (format: uncompressed TIFF)
- 1 m bare earth digital elevation model (DEM) w/ hydro-flattening (format: uncompressed TIFF)
- 1 m first return hillshade (format: uncompressed TIFF)
- 1 m bare earth hillshade (format: uncompressed TIFF)
- 1 m intensity images (format: uncompressed TIFF)
- 2 ft contours (formats: dxf, geodatabase, shapefile)
- Building footprints @ 97% accuracy (formats: geodatabase, shapefile)
- Hydro breaklines (formats: geodatabase, shapefile)
The Mat-Su LiDAR and Imagery project is important to a wide range of users. Some are only interested in one or two particular products or areas, while others want all products in all areas. As a result, there are two options for ordering data.
All LiDAR and Imagery products, for the entire project area, can be ordered from the MSB Borough GIS division. For more information or to order all the data, please contact:
Data can be downloaded from a Geographic Information Network of Alaska (GINA) webpage. This allows for individual products to be directly downloaded, however download times can be long because of the large files sizes. GINA also serves up web mapping services of the imagery and hillshades. The GINA webpage is funded by the Alaska Energy Authority. GINA Webpage (download data)
For data management purposes the project has been divided into 7 blocks/areas. Most of the project area was flown in 2011. A small portion of LiDAR in Hatcher Pass area and portions of the imagery of the Matanuska and Core Area blocks were flow in 2012.
The following table shows which products are available for each block.
|½ ft Resolution||1ft Resolution|
|Point MacKenzie Block||N/A||Available||Available|
|Caswell Lake Block||N/A||Available||Available|
|North Susitna Block||N/A||Available||Available|
|Matanuska Block|| Available
(urban area only)
|Core Area Block|| Available
(urban area only)
The status can fall into one of two categories:
Available = Prepared for distribution and available.
N/A = Product not available for the area.
Scope of Work (pdf 590.96 KB) | 843 hits
Frequently Asked Questions (pdf 938.95 KB) | 865 hits
File Management Schema (pdf 1.69 MB) | 855 hits
Acquisition Map (pdf 231.15 KB) | 869 hits
Imagery Acquisition Map by Year (pdf 4.02 MB) | 825 hits
LiDAR Acquisition Map by Year (pdf 3.8 MB) | 849 hits
LiDAR Imagery Block Title Index Map (pdf 829.38 KB) | 960 hits
LiDAR Imagery Acquisition Area Map (pdf 1.18 MB) | 885 hits
LiDAR Imagery Acquisitions Map with Blocks (pdf 406.09 KB) | 884 hits
LiDAR Imagery Acquisition Map with Imagery Flightlines (pdf 223.59 KB) | 870 hits
LiDAR Project Report (pdf 23.35 MB) | 802 hits
Orthoimagery Report (pdf 33.85 MB) | 808 hits
DEM Vertical Accuracy Assessment (pdf 467.24 KB) | 870 hits
Unclassified Point Cloud Accuracy Assessment (pdf 211.21 KB) | 821 hits
FEMA Standards (pdf 251.41 KB) | 812 hits
NDEP - Guidelines for Digital Elevation Data (pdf 820.81 KB) | 825 hits