The responsibilities of the Cultural Resources Division are to protect historic properties and to help stimulate or encourage local economies through historic preservation. These responsibilities are accomplished through:
- assuring compliance with the National Historic Preservation Act;
- increasing awareness of cultural resources when land uses and economic development are being considered;
- maintaining a Certified Local Government status; working with the state on their Overall Comprehensive Preservation Plan;
- incorporating the Borough's plan with the state and federal plan; and
- working with other divisions and departments to promote and protect cultural resources.
Other responsibilities include working with museums, historical societies and native groups to ensure Borough-wide historical data is being accurately disseminated to the public.