MAT-SU—A high wind warning will be in effect by 3 pm today, Tuesday, with wind gusts exceeding 75 mph in the Matanuska Valley, including the communities of Palmer, Wasilla, Sutton, and Chickaloon, according to the National Weather Service.
The strong winds are expected to last through Wednesday afternoon, and to weaken through Thursday.
Cold temperatures are accompanying the wind. Presently it’s 15 degrees, F.
Electric power for most of Palmer went out briefly today and was restored. Although the MAT-SU is accustomed to strong winds, please double-check your emergency supplies to see if you are prepared for at least the next two days.
Among the items you may need:
• If you have a generator, verify the fuel.
• Check batteries for flashlights and radio. During power outages, updates will be sent by MEA and the MAT-SU Borough to the local radio stations: KMBQ 99.7 FM and Country Legends 100.9 FM and KTNA Talkeetna 88.9 FM.
• A few gallons of drinking water
• Food supplies
• Alternate heating methods such as a fireplace
• Have a plan on where to go if your home is not warm.
A link is on the front of the MEA website under Stay Informed for facebook updates, accessible for when the power is on.
The Borough has a hotline for updates during emergencies: 761-3700 as well as a public affairs page www.matsugov.us/publicaffairs
The Borough’s Emergency Manager Tom Smayda is monitoring the severe weather conditions and has contacted the Red Cross in case shelters are needed.
For more information call Patty Sullivan 907-745-9577 or cell 907-355-0103.