A competent and cohesive team that fully integrates and coordinates its activities with other departments while developing and building safe, reliable infrastructure. Projects are managed in a respectful, timely, and effective manner using well-defined, proven project management techniques that ensure quality standards.
The Capital Projects Department is a fiscally responsible organization delivering Borough-wide high quality, modern infrastructure that addresses public needs.
The Capital Projects Department provides project management for Borough capital projects such as roads and schools, ensures that Borough roads, bridges, and facilities are built to quality standards, and supports Borough planning activities. Our vertical construction projects (schools and facilities) generally are under construction year round. Our many road projects are generally under construction during the summer and fall, and the “off-season” is use for construction to develop design packages, conduct right of way acquisition and permitting/agency coordination as required.
Phone: (907) 861-7701
Pre-Design and Engineering
The Pre-Design and Engineering Division's purpose is to continually improve the quality of the Borough's transportation network, providing our citizens with the safest, most efficient, environmentally sound and balanced transportation system possible.
The Pre-Design Unit is responsible for:
- Transportation planning and project agency coordination
- Identification & programming of MSB, State and Federal funding for road, bridge, railroad, transit and airport projects
- Implementing the preliminary design and environmental phase of transportation projects
- Collection and analysis of traffic data throughout the Borough
- Right-of-way acquisition
The Engineering Unit is responsible for:
- Transportation engineering (roads, bridges, transit) design and construction management
- Environmental analysis and engineering (water, wastewater, septage, stormwater, and solid waste)
- Private development and subdivision review, plat review
- Road certification
- In-house design and mapping
- Provide technical advice and consultation to other departments within the Borough related to the application of science and technology
Phone: (907) 861-7715
Project Management is responsible for managing a wide variety of Borough construction projects from design to completion. Projects include new schools, libraries, fire stations, water/sewer systems, renovations and other public facility construction projects within the Matanuska-Susitna Borough. As stewards of the tax payer's money, our goal is to economically construct long term facilities that serve the public safely, improve quality of life and health of our citizens, are low maintenance, and are environmentally/energy efficient. Core duties include:
- Direct, plan, coordinate, and manage capital improvement projects.
- Develop concepts and strategies for achieving assigned project objectives and operational goals.
- Draft and modify project schedules, scopes of work, technical specifications, cost estimates and budgets.
- Chair numerous meetings with consultants, contractors, utilities, government agencies, and public entities.
- Inspect and review project progress to ensure compliance with specifications.
- Resolve conflicts during design and construction.
Phone: (907) 861-7701