The Capital Projects Department provides project management for Borough capital projects such as roads and schools, ensures that Borough roads, bridges, and facilities are built to quality standards, institutes uniform and efficient procurement processes, enhances awareness of procurement processes and ensures for fair competition, and supports Borough planning activities. Our vertical construction projects (schools and facilities) generally are under construction year round. Our many road projects are generally under construction during the summer and fall, and the “off-season” is use for construction to develop design packages, conduct right of way acquisition and permitting/agency coordination as required. The Department’s purchasing activities know no season and are ongoing year-round in support of capital and non-capital projects and other Borough activities.
Pre-Design and Engineering
The Pre-Design and Engineering Division's purpose is to continually improve the quality of the Borough's transportation network, providing our citizens with the safest, most efficient, environmentally sound and balanced transportation system possible.
The Pre-Design Unit is responsible for:
- Transportation planning and project agency coordination
- Identification & programming of MSB, State and Federal funding for road, bridge, railroad, transit and airport projects
- Implementing the preliminary design and environmental phase of transportation projects
- Collection and analysis of traffic data throughout the Borough
- Right-of-way acquisition
The Engineering Unit is responsible for:
- Transportation engineering (roads, bridges, transit) design and construction management
- Environmental analysis and engineering (water, wastewater, septage, stormwater, and solid waste)
- Private development and subdivision review, plat review
- Road certification
- In-house design and mapping
- Provide technical advice and consultation to other departments within the Borough related to the application of science and technology
- Direct, plan, coordinate, and manage capital improvement projects.
- Develop concepts and strategies for achieving assigned project objectives and operational goals.
- Draft and modify project schedules, scopes of work, technical specifications, cost estimates and budgets.
- Chair numerous meetings with consultants, contractors, utilities, government agencies, and public entities.
- Inspect and review project progress to ensure compliance with specifications.
- Resolve conflicts during design and construction.