MAT-SU— Assembly Members for the Matanuska-Susitna Borough narrowed the search for a Borough manager tonight, shortening the list from 75 candidates to 11.
Tonight (Monday night) was the third meeting on the manager position.
Eleven qualified people are now the focus. Assembly Members will begin interviewing them by video-conference on Oct. 11.
Assembly Members were pleased with the wide interest in the manager position. The Borough received applications from 75 people. The 11 candidates’ homes range from Alaska to Florida.
In the Oct. 5 election, a question on the ballot asks if the manager form of government be repealed.
Assembly Members said they are going through the hiring steps to be prepared.
The Borough also has a special election for mayor scheduled for Jan. 11, 2011.
Two Alaskans and some with Alaskan ties are among the top 11.
The body will pare down the list of semi-finalists after the Oct. 11 meeting for face-to-face interviews.
The candidates are listed here in no particular order (present or recent job).
• James Wilson, County Manager with Galveston County, Texas.
• Melinda Carlton, Township Manager with Vernon Township, New Jersey
• Don Baird, Town Manager of Granby, Colorado
• Gary Adams, Administrator with the city of Oswego, Illinois
• Philip Oates, City Manager for Seward, Alaska
• Robert Reardon, Director of Operations and Maintenance with Tampa-Hillsborough Expressway Authority. Tampa, Florida
• Eric Strahl, City Manager with the City of Menominee, Michigan
• Charlies Whiting, Administrative Coordinator for St. Croix County, Wisconsin
• Dr. Martin Moore, General Manager with Timberon Water and Sanitation District, New Mexico
• Gregory Young, City Administrator of Ferndale, Washington
• Desmond Mayo, Director of Finance with Crowley Petroleum Distribution, Wasilla, Alaska