Get out in winter this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at mile 10.6 Hatcher Pass Road for the 6th Annual Winter Trails Day in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough. Strap on cross country skis and snowshoes for free and learn the proper technique in a number of classes during the day. Hot refreshments and restrooms provided. A warming barrel is on hand to take the edge off the chill. Bring the family.
A sledding hill is open all day.
Jan. 9, 2010, Scheduled events:
Meet in the parking lot at Mile 10.6 Hatcher Pass Road.
• 10:30 to 11:30 - beginner Classic X-C ski instruction
• 11:30 to 12:30 - beginner snowshoe instruction
• 12:30 to 1:30 - beginner snowboard instruction
• 1:30 to 2:00 - avalanche rescue beacon demonstration
• 2:00 to 2:30 - skijoring demonstration
• 2:30 to 3:00 - beginner downhill instruction
On the upper mountain Alaska State Park Rangers will meet at the Rescue Cache for the following:
12:00 to 1:00 - Tour of the Rescue/SAR Cache with refreshments
1:00 to 2:00 - Beginner skating clinic with MAT-SU Ski Club instructors
Free parking all day at State Park lots in Hatcher Pass.
Event sponsors are: MAT-SU Borough Parks, 'Winter Trails' Recreational Equipment, Inc., Mat Su Council, Pioneer Ski Patrol, Alaska Trails, Alaska State Parks, Mat Su Ski Club.
REI provides the nordic skis and snowshoes.