Flood Plain Development and Information
Regulatory changes to flood insurance rates and subsidized policies, will affect MAT-SU Borough property owners living in a Special Flood Hazard Area. See the attached Biggert-Waters Presentation for more information.
A Flood Plain Development Permit is required prior to rebuilding or any other development within a Federally Designated Flood Hazard Area.
If your property is located within the 100 year flood, there is at least a 1% chance each year the land may be subject to a "100 year" flooding event.
In an effort to reduce losses associated with these flooding events and reduce the amount of losses, the Federal Government, through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), requires all structures to obtain Flood Hazard Insurance. To be eligible to receive Flood Hazard Insurance all new development must conform to the minimum standards of development as described in MSB 17.29 Flood Damage Prevention.
A complete application must include both the MSB Flood Hazard Development Permit and the Elevation Certificate. A Registered Engineer or Surveyor must complete the elevation certificate.
If you have any questions please contact the Permit Center or FEMA, Federal Emergency Management Agency, directly at http://www.fema.gov or 1-800-427-4661.
Flood Plain Management Studies
Flood Damage and Prevention
Preparedness is the best way to be ready for a flood. Learn if your home is in a Flood Zone or accessed by crossing a flood zone. See our Emergency Preparedness site for how to be ready.
Attention Surveyors & MSB Residents
- Flood Insurance Study What you need to Know about Federal Disaster Assistance and National Flood Insurance Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) or 1-800-427-4661
Past Flood Damage
Flood Damage Mitigation
- WHEN FLOODS VISIT YOUR PROPERTY - Helpful hints to protect yourself.
- FEMA Flood Insurance Claims Handbook
- Shoreline Landscaping
- National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service
- Red Cross Flood Preparation Site
- Be "FloodSafe" Flood preparation and safety tips from FEMA.
Flood Damage Prevention
- MSB 17.29 Flood Damage Prevention
- 1986 Flood Insurance Study
- Designing Flood Proof Homes in Alaska
- FEMA Base Flood Elevation Appeals Criteria
- Flood Data Bibliography for Alaska
- Flood Hazard Development Permit Application
- Elevation Certificate form
- Floodplain Management, Administrators Guide
- Interagency Hazard Mitigation Report
- Procedures for Building Bridges & Structures in the Floodway
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Flood-Proofing Regulations for reference only
What is Risk Map? (pdf 927.69 KB) | 339 hits
Flood Risk Products (pdf 359.76 KB) | 284 hits
Flood Insurance and Grandfathering Rule (pdf 109.02 KB) | 287 hits
Elevation Data Fact Sheet (pdf 180.12 KB) | 296 hits
Community Engagement Factsheet (pdf 131.18 KB) | 248 hits
Acronyms and Abbreviations (pdf 85.47 KB) | 218 hits
HMA Factsheet (pdf 1.23 MB) | 244 hits
HMA Brochure (pdf 269.39 KB) | 232 hits
HMGP Brochure (pdf 772.25 KB) | 235 hits
Biggert-Waters Presentation (pdf 345.77 KB) | 243 hits