Flood Plain Development and Information
Regulatory changes to flood insurance rates and subsidized policies, will affect MAT-SU Borough property owners living in a Special Flood Hazard Area. See the attached Biggert-Waters Presentation for more information.
A Flood Plain Development Permit is required prior to rebuilding or any other development within a Federally Designated Flood Hazard Area.
If your property is located within the 100 year flood, there is at least a 1% chance each year the land may be subject to a "100 year" flooding event.
In an effort to reduce losses associated with these flooding events and reduce the amount of losses, the Federal Government, through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), requires all structures to obtain Flood Hazard Insurance. To be eligible to receive Flood Hazard Insurance all new development must conform to the minimum standards of development as described in MSB 17.29 Flood Damage Prevention.
A complete application must include both the MSB Flood Hazard Development Permit and the Elevation Certificate. A Registered Engineer or Surveyor must complete the elevation certificate.
If you have any questions please contact the Permit Center or FEMA, Federal Emergency Management Agency, directly at http://www.fema.gov or 1-800-427-4661.
Flood Plain Management Studies
- FEMA Managing Floodplain Development in Approximate Zone A Areas
- A Guide for Obtaining and Developing Base (100-Year) Flood Elevation
- 196 Mile, Caswell, Sheep, Goose, Montana, Answer & Birch Creeks
- Beluga Basin
- Bodenburg Butte Special Flood Insurance Study
- Butte Area 1984 Benchmarks
- Expedited Reconnaissance Study, 1986 Analysis Matanuska River
- Expedited Reconnaissance Background Studies
- FEMA Flood Insurance Study November 1, 1984
- FEMA Flood Insurance Study March 24, 1997
- FEMA Flood Insurance Study June 18, 1999
- FLOODS of the summer of 1971 in SOUTH-CENTRAL ALASKA
- Kashwitna River, Wasilla, Cottonwood & Lucille Creeks
- Knik-Matanuska River Estuary, Flow & Hydraulic Characteristics
- Kroto, Rabideux, Trapper & Peters Creeks
- Lower Little Susitna and Little Willow Creek
- Lower Tanana River & Tributaries
- Matanuska River Bank Erosion Inspection 10/21/03 Trip Report
- Matanuska River Watershed, Review of Resources, 1998
- South Central Alaska Floods of 1971-1972
- Talkeetna Flood Plain Information June 1972
- Troublesome, Byers & Honolulu Creeks
- Willow Expanded Flood Plain Information Study June 1980
Flood Damage and Prevention
Preparedness is the best way to be ready for a flood. Learn if your home is in a Flood Zone or accessed by crossing a flood zone. See our Emergency Preparedness site for how to be ready.
Attention Surveyors & MSB Residents
- Flood Insurance Study What you need to Know about Federal Disaster Assistance and National Flood Insurance Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) or 1-800-427-4661
Past Flood Damage
Flood Damage Mitigation
- WHEN FLOODS VISIT YOUR PROPERTY - Helpful hints to protect yourself.
- FEMA Flood Insurance Claims Handbook
- Shoreline Landscaping
- National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service
- Red Cross Flood Preparation Site
- Be "FloodSafe" Flood preparation and safety tips from FEMA.
Flood Damage Prevention
- MSB 17.29 Flood Damage Prevention
- 1986 Flood Insurance Study
- Designing Flood Proof Homes in Alaska
- FEMA Base Flood Elevation Appeals Criteria
- Flood Data Bibliography for Alaska
- Flood Hazard Development Permit Application
- Elevation Certificate form
- Floodplain Management, Administrators Guide
- Interagency Hazard Mitigation Report
- Procedures for Building Bridges & Structures in the Floodway
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Flood-Proofing Regulations for reference only
What is Risk Map? (pdf 927.69 KB) | 309 hits
Flood Risk Products (pdf 359.76 KB) | 251 hits
Flood Insurance and Grandfathering Rule (pdf 109.02 KB) | 255 hits
Elevation Data Fact Sheet (pdf 180.12 KB) | 265 hits
Community Engagement Factsheet (pdf 131.18 KB) | 225 hits
Acronyms and Abbreviations (pdf 85.47 KB) | 198 hits
HMA Factsheet (pdf 1.23 MB) | 219 hits
HMA Brochure (pdf 269.39 KB) | 211 hits
HMGP Brochure (pdf 772.25 KB) | 214 hits
Biggert-Waters Presentation (pdf 345.77 KB) | 214 hits