The Mat-Su Borough Department of Emergency Services (DES) is charged with the protection of lives and property. The administrative staff is employed to help support all emergency services personnel in this critical service to our community. The Department of Emergency Services is comprised of fire protection and emergency medical services; water, technical, off-road, and hazmat rescue services; emergency management and community preparedness programs; Enhanced 911 services; and emergency vehicle maintenance.
Plan and Prepare for Any Disaster
- Assemble emergency kits. (See Basic Emergency Supplies.)
- Keep copies of important documents (passport, driver license, social security card, marriage license, will, deeds, financial statements, etc.) in an offsite location n such as a safety deposit box.
- To facilitate insurance recovery, include an inventory of your valuables with serial number list of tools and equipment and photographs or video of other valuables.
- Use a USB jump drive to store these files. Make duplicate jump drives and keep one at home, and one in a safety deposit box or other off-site safe location n.
- Learn how and when to shut off your utilities. (See Utilities.)
- Discuss all possible exit routes from each room, building and neighborhood. Ensure that your family has at least two exits from each.
- Reunification location: choose two places, one outside your home and another outside your neighborhood, like a church, community center, store parking lot, or other open area to meet at if you are separated.
- Conduct emergency drills and practice “DROP, COVER and HOLD” for earthquakes at least once every six months.
- Always keep your car’s gas tank at least 3/4 full.
- Take classes on first aid, CPR and disaster preparedness. (See Training & Volunteer Opportunities).
- Practice your plan once a year. Pick a weekend with nice weather to set up in your yard and use your disaster kit. This allows you to see how well it works and add to it before a real emergency.
EMS: A True Calling
Many say that being an EMT or firefighter isn't a choice, it's a calling. The Matanuska-Susitna Borough has some of the most dedicated responders in the state. They are available for EMS, fire, technical and water rescue calls. The Central MAT-SU EMT's, paramedics, rescue technicians and firefighters are on-call paid staff. These dedicated men and women train and respond during their free time, juggling family events and scheduled sleep to aid a stranger in need.
Vacant, EMS Operations Deputy Chief
Chief: Mike Fassler
Station 15: (907) 822-3028
Chief: Cheri Day
Station 1-2: (907) 861-8111
Chief: Jalan VanNice
Station 21: (907) 861-8021
Station 3-9: (907) 861-8039
Chief: Ashley Cunnington
Station 12-3: (907) 861-8123
Station 73: (907) 861-8073
Chief: Jennifer Hales
Station 11-1: (907) 861-8115
Station 11-2: (907) 861-8116
Station 14: (907) 861-8142
If your smoke alarm goes off:
- Remain calm and get out.
- Feel the door with the back of your hand before you open it. If it is hot, find another way out.
- If you see smoke under the door, find another way out.
- Drop to the floor to avoid hot smoke and toxic gasses in the smoke. Crawl to safety.
- If your clothes catch on fire, STOP where you are, DROP to the ground, COVER your face, and ROLL over and over to smother the flames.
- Call 9-1-1 from a safe location.
- If you are trapped in a burning building, stay near a window and close to the floor. If possible, signal for help.
- Do not go back inside the building unless instructed that is safe to do so.
Administrative Staff: (907) 861-8383 www.matsugov.us/cmsfd
Fire Code Office:
West Lakes Administrative Staff: (907) 861-8081
Administrative Staff: (907) 707-5566
Fire StationsVictory Volunteer Fire Department Chief: Doug Thiessen
Fire Code & Life Safety Forms
Regular meetings are the first Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m., Station 6-1, 101 W Swanson Ave, Wasilla. Regular training is the Saturday after the regular meeting, all day, meet at Station 6-5, Wasilla, 680 N Seward-Meridian Pkwy, Wasilla. Team pool time every Monday. Team members get together for an optional fitness/training session at Wasilla Pool. If you are interested in joining the team, click here for the application checklist.